What makes Void Destroyer unique:
I always enjoyed a great variety of games, I have combined many different ways of interacting with the game universe. Void Destroyer gives the player unique options on how to play. You can choose one or all of the options to suit your game style or the situation in game.
The ways of interacting with the game world and features:
- Fly any ship under your command - instantly change ships then directly pilot them. From drones to carriers, a huge variety of craft to pilot. This space sim uses a newtonian flight model designed to be have both enjoyable flight and combat in space.
- Command mode - become more of a commander and less of a pilot - intended for handling larger ships.
- Tactical mode - issue commands to ships via a real time strategy like interface. Tactical Mode is a fully 3D map, command console and your empire management tool.
- Control your bases production and economic output.
- Build platforms/stations for production and defense.
- Upgrade and repair your command ship. Where your in game Avatar resides and is able to remotely control your ships and assets. The command ship also features unique abilities to aid in combat.
- Experience the story line and unique setting.
- Battle Editor and Instant Action mode - an in game map editor to create custom maps and battle scenarios for you to enjoy quick or long battles and share them with friends.
- Research new technology.
- Crew control - your ships have crews, maybe you prefer them to do the flying for you.
Space sim flight model:
Void Destroyer uses a "newtonian" flight model - meaning that momentum isn't affected by rotation and there is no drag or friction. Ships are capable of compensating for drift automatically and the pilot is able to turn off this compensation to turn independent of momentum. I've put in a lot of effort for ship flight being a joy - meaning - there is drift. It is something to both be wary of and use during combat and maneuvering. Due to the variety of ships and ship classes you can pilot - a nimble drone fighter will be able to compensate for drift much faster than a cruiser.
Realism? Hardcore? Casual?
Combat in Void Destroyer is designed to be action packed and up close and relatively personal. Combat happens in visual range, you won't be shooting at dots.
There are a lot of keyboard commands for players that want them, however the play style is forgiving due to having control over more than one ship. If a small fighter you are remotely piloting is destroyed, you either hop into another or return to piloting the command ship which isn't as easily destroyed.
Void Destroyer seeks to be among the most mod friendly games out there. I've spent a great deal of effort creating a game engine that is data driven. Object characteristics, maps, missions, dialog, even the scenes that appear on the game's main menu are moddable. As little as possible is hard coded. Modding can be accomplished via a process that is as easy as editing text files.
For example: To create a new ship a modder would copy and paste a ship file, change its characteristics, give it a unique id and the game engine would recognize the new ship.
- Coded in C++ using Microsoft Visual Studio.
- Rendering engine - Ogre3d
- Input engine - OIS
- GUI engine - CEGUI
- Physics engine - Bullet
- Ogre to Bullet integration - BtOgre
- Particle engine Ogre add-on - Particle Universe
- Engine framework - Advanced Ogre Framework
- Sound engine - OpenAL
- Ogre to OpenAL integration - OgreOggSound
- Installer (for non Steam version) - NSIS
- ARaynorDesign - Website Templates